Sunday 16 August 2015

The end is in sight

As many of my challenges near their conclusion the end is in sight, and an amazing £1270 has been raised along the way to date.
The cycling 40 miles was done in 5 days and only now almost 2 weeks later am I thinking of going near my bike again.

Last week we had a mammoth film fest to get them all completed, the final one being Antman which we went to see at the cinema along with my parents too.
Much of last week I've had my nose stuck in a book finishing Frankenstein and Far from a madding crowd, both requiring immense concentration to follow the language.  I now recall why I didn't go any further than GCSE English.  I've just got to find 3 more now that I haven't already read.  I scoured the library the other day and have been in second hand book shops to no further avail so far.  Hopefully I'll have better luck this week.
Board games and card games are slowly being plowed through, last night after reading through the rules a handful of times we tackled Backgammon.  Not convinced we played it properly.  It took us 10 minutes and at no point did we block each other's counters. We might need to research tactics!  There's 6 more left to go now, so currently working through the huge number of Lego board games we have in our house.  At least these are no so taxing.
Party invites have been issued to many of the people involved, so the end is really drawing close.  I'm not quite sure what I'll do with all my free time afterwards!!  I'm sure more volunteering and different types of fundraising will be on the cards.  It's going to be pretty hard to top this one though.
As I get down to my last few blog entries I might need you all to get sharing to get me some readers like I did with my first few entries, that had well over 100 views (340 on the very first one)!  Thank you for sticking with me to the end.
When I was ill I had contemplated writing a book / journal of what I was going through.  I never did get around to it, perhaps if blogging had been as popular and accessible then I might have.  I only got myself setup on Facebook when I was ill.  I have to say it kept me in touch with the world and helped me get through many hours where I wasn't really well enough to do anything else.  Time makes you forget some of what you went through, which is why I sometimes look back and think a journal might have been good.  I wouldn't want it to feel sorry for myself, more as a reminder of how far I've actually come.  Little things do pop back into my head now and again.  I remember little bits about the fatigue, and how I would try and go for a walk, sometimes just walking to the next street corner and back would actually be a real struggle.  There would be other times where my mum would do the school run, and I'd sit in the car just so I could get outside.  I was too tired to walk the short distance to the school playground and back.  It was also the coldest winter for years, great when you're semi bald.  I used to go out with 2 hats on, and even sleep in one occasionally.
I often go to support groups and chat to people, each of us has our own little story, with our trials and memories.  Perhaps that might make an interesting read sometime.  Not everything was doom and gloom though.  I recall trying to get into school in a bit of a panic to speak to my son's teacher to explain how we'd been throwing my boob around the room and he'd been holding it  that morning (to explain what a prosthesis is).  This could have been a potentially awkward conversation that she might have had to have with a 6 year old when taken out of context.  I dare not imagine what he might have said.
My parents were mortified having got me a new electric razor for my birthday, only a couple of weeks later  for my hair to start falling out.  I found this hilarious!  We also found a great use for my old bras when the snow came and the children made snow ladies!  (I add only in the back garden!)
Sitting in oncology they always used to have radio 2 on.  I still remember the irony of listening to Gloria Gaynor - "I will survive" when I'd just received some bad news about my chemo not working.  I also changed my ringtone on my phone to "Radioactive" by the Kings of Leon when I was trundling backwards and forwards to radiotherapy for 3 weeks.  People were always worried at offending me.  A friend had posted something on Facebook to me about pulling her hair out.  I remember her being horrified where as I was crying with laughter.  You definitely get a warped sense of humour when going through treatment.
That's probably enough ramblings for one morning.  I did say I wanted more people to read this!!  Enjoy your day and think of something positive!

No comments:

Post a Comment