Thursday 23 April 2015

More publicity and close to £800

After a very successful quiz last weekend, collecting over £70 by being dressed in a monkey onesie, and of course being part of the winning team, my fundraising total is not far off double my original target of £400.

Today almost a full page was dedicated to my cause in the local newspaper, which is fantastic.  It's just a shame they got mine and my husband's football allegiances mixed up!!
Just to clarify, I was wearing an Aston Villa shirt in the photo, but I support BIRMINGHAM CITY!!

The challenges have ticked along slowly this week, concentrating on munching my way through as many new flavours of crisps that I can.  Up to 26 so far, the latest being roast turkey and chestnut stuffing AKA roast chicken.

I'm up to 1987 in my film watching exploits, Robocop was added to my list last night.  It's funny how cheesy that film seems looking back now, whereas then I thought it was very high tech.

On a completely different note I watched a documentary this week about supersized models.  It got me thinking about how body image and cancer often go hand in hand.  I remember after having my mastectomy people asked me about reconstruction.  If I'd had £1 every time my consultant asked if I wanted the other one taken off I'd be rich.  I think that women are just expected to want and have reconstruction, whereas for me this was the furthest thing from my mind.  I hope never to have to go back into hospital and have another operation.  Yes, I have a huge scar across my chest, and I do wear a prosthesis, but that doesn't change me, in fact it makes me stronger.  I'm more confident about who I am and what I am since cancer.  My scars remind me where I've been, and how far I have come.  I am not ashamed of what I am. If only other women could feel so strong about themselves, and not feel presurised into fitting into social norms, I feel that my cancer may have achieved something else too.

Thank you for continuing to follow my blog, and to support this cause.  Feel free to tweet me @louise_vernon if you have any suggestions or comments that you would like to add.

No comments:

Post a Comment