Thursday 5 March 2015

Calm after the storm

After a manic first twenty four hours or so, life has been much quieter.  Perhaps everyone has been preoccupied in my circles with World Book Day.  I've only had one more donation to the page today, from someone I know very well!  The shares are coming on well.  Lot's of friends are continuing to share my picture, and hopefully people will give the centre Facebook page a look, to find out what it's all about.
I still really need help with Challenge 6.  Two people have shared their inspirational photos and donated.  My son is helping me with his version of the fitness challenge, and my daughter has pledged her support.  I've also been promised cupcakes from a work friend.   I still need to get 40 people to do a challenge for me.  Please help if you can.  I'm asking you just to post a photo of something that inspires you and make a small donation.  I now have a text link so it can be as little as £1 from your mobile phone.
To do this text LVLV75 £1 to 70070.

What is the Tamworth Wellbeing and Cancer Support Centre all about?
For those of you who don't know what it is or does, I'll give you my own personal perspective.
Going right back to the start for me, I was 35 gone from working full time and doing a part time uni course to being on long term sick with a life threatening illness.  The centre gave me somewhere to go where people understood what I was going through, and were there just to sit and have a chat or gave me the opportunity to relax whilst doing a bit of art and craft.  Later I got involved helping to organise children's art and craft sessions.  My children both found my illness very hard to cope with, being only 6 and 8 at diagnosis and both needed counselling at various points to help them.  I don't think you realise the impact cancer has on your family until it affects you and your family.
I still attend the ladies support groups once a month, my little evening out, often marked with tears of laughter as well as tears of sadness.  I see people now with that same fear I faced 4 years ago, and hopefully they can look at me as hope that there is life after cancer.
The craft group goes from strength to strength, and although I only pop in every now and again, I can see the way people chat and create, that the distraction it provided me at the start of my journey is still evident now.  People can switch off a little from their illnesses and get the opportunity to express themselves in a positive way.

I hope my little insight might help you to have a look at the Facebook page and the photos.  See for yourself the happiness and support the centre provides.
Thank you for reading my blogs.
The weekend approaches, so will it be cycling of swimming tomorrow?

No comments:

Post a Comment