Wednesday 4 March 2015

Challenge 5

Challenge 5, here it is in it's full glory! I've chosen 40 songs for my 40 years. I might get around to tagging some links later. Trying to fit a table in a blog is difficult enough! The plan is to listen to all 40 some time soon.
1.       Space oddity – David Bowie
Number 1 when I was born, so fairly significant!
2.       Bohemian rhapsody – Queen
Christmas number 1 in 1975 and a timeless classic
3.       Something stupid – Robbie Williams & Nicole Kidman
Christmas number 1 when my first child was born, played loads in hospital
4.       Everybody hurts – REM
Probably my all-time favourite from my favourite band.  It reminds me of my friend who died when we were both 18
5.       Live forever – Oasis
Another favourite song, made it to my funeral list
6.       Wonderwall – Oasis
6,7,8 were our songs played at our wedding in 1997
7.       All you need is love – The Beatles
8.       Love is all around  - The Troggs
9.       Walk like an Egyptian – The Bangles
My first single purchased upstairs in Virgin Megastore in Birmingham
10.   Take on me – A-Ha
From my first album, and my first teen favourite band
11.   Is it like today? – World Party
First CD purchased
12.   Baggy trousers – Madness
My favourite song when I was very young.  I’m sure I wanted it played for my 7th or 8th birthday party
13.   I can’t help falling in love with you – UB40
I grew up with my parents playing UB40, so a favourite of theirs
14.   Love is all around – REM
I first heard this cover from MTV unplugged and loved it before the original
15.   Smells like teen spirit – Nirvana
From my first proper “rock” album changed my tastes forever
16.   Chocolate cake – Crowded House
A saw these a few times in concert in my late teens.  Used to keep rewinding the tape for this song.
17.   Welcome to the black parade – My Chemical Romance
One of my current favourite bands, a classic anthem for me
18.   Radioactive – Kings of Leon
This came out as I was finishing radiotherapy, also was my phone ringtone for a while symbolised the end of treatment.
19.   Radioactive – Imagine Dragons
My current favourite band loved this album and single
20.   Christine – The House of Love
For the short while I was in Uni I played this over again, vastly different to everyone else in halls at the time
21.   Metal Mickey – Suede
A first real concert at 17 in the Hummingbird Birmingham, their best track
22.   Screamager – Therapy?
Teenage angst song
23.   Tonight – New Kids on the Block
Do I admit to the world my early teen heart-throbs?  I loved this song back then
24.   Crazy for you – Madonna
Unrequited love at 16
25.   The day we caught the train – Ocean Colour Scene
This came out when we were dating, from Birmingham shame they were Villa fans
26.   Hey Jude – The Beatles
One of the greatest bands ever who influenced lots of what I liked as a young adult.  Classic song
27.   Keep right on to the end of the road (Harry Lauder)
Cheesy I know but as a blues fan has to be in here
28.   These days – Foo Fighters
Great current band, and makes you think of your own mortality in a good way
29.   Superman – REM
A quirky song I love from my favourite band
30.   Dizzy – Vic Reeves and the Wonderstuff
Mainstream chart single that started an interest later in indie music for me
31.   Mulder & Scully – Catatonia
I loved the x-files and loved the song too
32.   Move any mountain – The Shamen
I had a bit of dance phase in my mid-teens, a favourite from then
33.   Ever fallen in love? – The Buzzcocks
Another unrequited love song, very popular in the Hummingbird
34.   Rise – Public Image Ltd
A song I loved back when I was very young, and very different to everything else I liked back then
35.   Porcelain – Moby
A played this track and the album lots when I was pregnant the first time.  Helped calm me down
36.   The eve of the war – Jeff Wayne
My dad loved war of the worlds, so this song grew on my as a kid
37.   Everybody needs somebody to love – The Blues Brothers
All of my family loved the film and the music when I was younger. My favourite from it.
38.   Do they know it’s Christmas? – Band Aid
I knew all the words and remember the whole feed the world live aid thing.  Hugely different to anything else back then
39.   Song 2  - Blur
Blur & Oasis battle to be top indie band.  I loved them both.  Couldn’t leave out a Blur favourite
40.   Only you – Flying Picketts
Finally, I have memories having my first tape recorder and recording me, my sister and cousins singing to this.  Does nothing for me now

No comments:

Post a Comment