Tuesday 3 March 2015

Up to Challenge 4 already!

Just a few hours in and my 40 before 40 is steamrollering (if there is such a word) into action.

Challenge 1 - you're reading it!
Challenge 2 - My just giving page already has my first few unknowns who have kindly donated
Challenge 3 - You may have already seen my rather unflattering picture which I hope will go viral! Well it's already being shared by lots of people, and just in case you didn't see it here it is



Finally I've started on challenge 4, 40 days of exercise.  If I lapse £1 will go onto the justgiving page for each days I miss.
So day 1 on the fitness challenge, I've just done 900 steps on the stepper.
Not huge you might say, but trust me by day 40 it will seem it!

My story continued   .... the shortened version you'll be pleased to read

For those of you who don't really know me, a bit more back story, feel free to skip to the end if you do and have heard it a million times!

So going back to my diagnosis, being told days before you are 35 that you have an aggressive form of breast cancer, then you do the silly thing and Google triple negative, you will begin to see why 40 is such a big thing for me.  I'd starting planning the songs I wanted for my funeral at this point, not something any 35 year old really contemplates much.
I then began my treatment plan, 4 Epirubicin, 4 EMF (or some other acronym) surgery,then radiotherapy... or so I thought.
It turns out that when I got to the halfway point of chemo, my body decided to be chemo resistant.  Most of my hair, not all of it had fallen out, I'd had all the sickness and the other side effects but all for nothing.  My tumor (excuse my spelling and American dictionary) had grown.  The oncologist was amazed.  She was even more amazed when I had two rounds of the super strength Tax with the blackouts, periphery neuropathy  (not in the dictionary) and it's super strength side effects, and still the tumor grew.  At this point I really did hit rock bottom.  I was booked in for an emergency mastectomy and it felt as is my life was in the balance.
Fortunately for me the operation was a success and I was then put on a different sort of chemo as an insurance policy.  Before starting the third type of chemo I got an infection in the hickman line, the line which is put in for people on treatment so they don't keep having chemo in their veins.   I ended up in intensive care for a few days, where I was told that if this had happened when I was on chemo it could well have nearly killed me.
The photo on my picture was taken just days later, as you can see a picture of good health!
I then started 6 rounds of carboplatin.  Unfortunately my body decided it had got fed up of chemo by round 4, so the rest were knocked on the head.  It was decided, more was not in my best interest.
The remainder of my treatment journey was fairly uneventful after that.  I went like everyone else for radiotherapy for a number of weeks and finally finished treatment in September 2011.

The Centre
You may wonder if you don't know me why I'm raising money for the Tamworth Wellbeing and Cancer Support Centre as I finished treatment so long ago.
Throughout my journey the centre was a place to go where people understood where I'd been and it helped me gain a purpose for my cancer.
I found that being there for others and helping to raise a bit of money made the cancer journey worth it!  It might sound strange, but I had cancer for a reason.  If I can turn something so horrible into something positive, I might just be able to make that small difference to others.

1 comment:

  1. I don't usually read blogs and rarely comment on anything online but your blog is very inspiring. Your 40 before 40 challenge is great! My mum has just been diagnosed with malignant bone cancer and is set to start radiotherapy treatment mid March. The waiting is hard and we have realised that this is one huge test in patience. You had 5 years of this - your story is amazing. I cannot begin to imagine how you and your family and friends coped...but you did!

    Centres like the Tamworth Wellbeing Cancer Support Centre are vital - it's great that you are raising money for them. Good luck with that!

    I look forward to hearing about the rest of your challenges!

    Thank you!

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete